Before you embrace your Mexican Heritage this Saturday, you're going to want to break out your big floppy hat and spend your afternoon with a julep cup in hand for "the Run for the Roses". Here are some of your options:
· Bourbon Steak will have complimentary canapes and $5 mint juleps from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.
· Yardbird hosts Kentucky Derby Day featuring the Yardbird Mint Julep and a special Derby menu of small snacks. Yardbird opens at 12 pm and will have a live broadcast of the race at posting time. Prizes will be rewarded for the most outlandish Derby hats.
· Tap 42 in Ft. Lauderdale will be celebrating their inaugural Derby Day with $5 Wild Turkey mint juleps starting at 2 pm. All drinks at the bar will be 50% off from 4 until the winner crosses the finish line. And for the ladies with the big hats, iPad2 is the prize du jour.
· For those wagering on Daddy Long Legs and other horses, Calder Casino & Race Course hosts "Florida's Biggest Kentucky Derby Party" with live music all afternoon, barbecue, and all day drink specials. From 12 p.m. to 6 p.m., the Turf Club is hosting a "Buffet of Derby Classics". There will also be a Derby hat contest with prizes in the categories: most stylish, most unique, biggest, and best overall.
· More gambling can be had at Gulfstream with $5 mint juleps with a free julep cup, chance to win share of $3,000 in free bets as well as Women's Derby Hat Contest for a shot at a pair of Christian Louboutin shoes and a bottle of Dom Perignon.
· The Hard Rock Casino's Passion also mixes the gambling and mint juleps with their "4th Annual Rock the Race" to benefit the Ann Storck Center. Tickets are $50 that include complimentary beverages, hors d'ouevres, and a silent auction. And for those embarrassed by the size of their hat, there will be a Derby hat making and decorating station.