Last night, Alinea began its much anticipated, month-long pop-up in Miami. Housed inside the Faena Hotel, the menu featured a mix of Alinea classics and South Florida inspired dishes. While the dinners are sold out, here’s what the whole 15-course spread looks like, so, you know, you can be there in spirit.
- The meal began with a hot dog gelatin bite topped with yellow mustard, relish and salsa, as an ode to its hometown of Chicago.
- Osetra caviar topped with plantain, papaya, and rum Bavarian cream.
- A sippable (complete with a straw) corn-based soup with various bites like compressed tomato, chorizo, and a brown butter filled corn nut.
- Plated on a Joan Miró painting, the restaurant’s nod to its stint in Madrid, the snapper featured edible "paint" like red pepper saffron, cuttlefish ink, bouillabaisse and lavender honey.
- Ceviche is a must when you’re in Miami, and Alinea’s featured Key West pink shrimp and local cobia, topped with citrus infused tapioca pearls, fried yucca chip, tiger’s milk, "Ocean Surf Foam" that's all surrounded by citrus smoke.
- Using classic Alinea serving pieces, this three-part dish included an antenna holding a crispy pig ear; a tempura battered king crab mix on a vanilla bean "skewer" and a gelatin-based "shot" dubbed the Siam Sunray.
- Beets in various preparations, goat cheese and a strawberry vinaigrette "spray paint"
- One of Alinea’s most well-known dishes made an appearance in Miami. Called "Hot Potato, Cold Potato" it’s made with a hot Yukon gold potato, a slice of black truffle that drops into a chilled truffled potato soup.
- Gold leaf covered duck breast and foie gras rolled in Sicilian pistachios.
- Rose cake, served on a bead of roses, naturally.
- We’ll try not to spoil all the fun, but let’s just say this beef dish is cooking somewhere you’d least expect it served with lettuce cores, sous vide potato and chimichurri.
- Ravioli filled with a black truffle broth and topped with Parmesan served on something called an "anti-plate."
- Bacon is a must in any tasting menu, right? This variety was served on a string and topped with butterscotch, apple, and thyme.
- The famous Alinea balloon makes an appearance in Miami. The green apple flavored edible balloon is filled with helium. Squeeky voices included.
- Of course, the table-made chocolate dessert, prepared by Grant Achatz himself with banana, Fernet Branca, and dulce de leche components.
- The man himself, Grant Achatz
— All photos by Giovanny Gutierrez/Chat Chow TV